• September 21, 2018, 08:47:23 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Struggling with RFS7000  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Radio_Head

Struggling with RFS7000
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:15:28 PM »
Hi All
    I seem to be struggling with the RFS7000 setup.
My setup is basic but it seems to give me grief almost daily with the CEO telling me its not working.
I'll try and give an outline to my setup.

RFS7000 (wing 5.8.4 ) x2 in a cluster, Active / standby
Licensed for 64 AP's ( only 9 in use at present )
AP650 - single radio running BGN
The network is Baystack  5510-48 & 5520-48 PoE Fibre backbone
All on one site, The AP's connect into one of two server rooms. The RFS units are located in each of the server rooms.

I have the AP's and the RFS units on the same VLAN ( 1 )
The AP's and RFS units can see each other and the AP's

Currently there are 2 Vlan's  1 , 10
Vlan 1 is the local LAN , Vlan 10 is straight out on to the internet, with the ADSL router doing the DHCP.

There are two WLAN's one for the local traffic and the other for Customers to use.

I think I need to set the RFS units up from scratch. and in a better way. But I'm not the most technical in the world, I can follow instructions though ( Bonus  :) )

I think I need to setup some additional Vlan's to get the AP's traffic off the main network.
I think the will involve using two of the network points on the RFS ( ge1 & ge2 ) so ge2 might go into the vlan that has the AP's on it, and also pass the AP/RFS traffic.

The Aim:
To create a Wlan for users of laptops within the business along with the Voip Application & Chromecast Devices and AppleTV boxes That will use the AD to authenticate users

the second WLAN is a BOYD network for users to use there own devices but still authenticated by the AD and for the Voip App that sits on there mobile phones.

A third WLAN that will be for Guest and customers Only and would go straight out on to the Internet with a disclaimer they have to accept in order to gain access, some guest will use it to VPN to their HQ

With the BOYD network I would like the RFS to be the DHCP server, the main WLAN devices will get their IP from the LAN DHCP server

The Guest VLAN will provide IP address's from the RFS Unit

All 3 WLANs will pass via a internet appliance ( for filtering )

I think I need to add some QoS for the VOIP Application either on the mobile phone or the App on the PC

If anyone has a simple to follow guide, to set the RFS up and what I need to do on the Baystack units.

So as it I have sort of working RFS setup but I don't think its setup up right or very efficiently .

Any Help please , I have about 3 weeks to sort it out as that's when the new VOIP is due to be rolled out.
 :'(

Thanks for looking

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Struggling with RFS7000
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »
It's not rocket science but it really sounds like you need to engage some consulting or professional services.

I would probably suggest you trim down your wish list and try to get the basics working after that you can try and add back some of your wish list items.

Here's a quick hint to get you started...
https://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2008/10/motorola-rfs-7000-wireless-lan-switch/

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline Radio_Head

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 02:13:52 PM »
Hi Michael
      Thanks for the response, I was thinking about this, So the RFS is setup and all confined to one site, Looking at the link you posted it seems like its for deploying to different sites etc. As the RFS is working ( sort of ) I have one wlan mapped to vlan 1 and another to wlan to vlan 10,  Could I setup ge2 on the main and backup units connect them into Vlan 15 add the APs to the same vlan to keep the RFS and AP traffic off  vlan 1 and vlan 10

Also do you have any links about applying QoS to vlans, If a policy is created for the QoS and applied to a WLAN will it need to match what is setup on the network switches which are all Nortel mostly 5510 with a couple of 5520 PoE units ?

Sorry a lot of questions but your assistance is appreciated
R_H

Offline McNulty

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:37:31 PM »
@Michael McNamara +1.

@Radio_Head sounds like you need a professional to help you get set up. You are asking a bit too much from the forum, which is directed more towards people who are having a specific issue.

One thing I can tell you is that Chromecast won't be able to connect to corporate network as described. I'm not sure about Apple TV but probably the same story. Chromecast is a home device. You might want to look into an alternative system.