• November 29, 2020, 05:47:34 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RFS7000 Cluster question and an adoption issue.  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Jay Smith

• Rookie
RFS7000 Cluster question and an adoption issue.
« on: May 26, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
I have 2 RFS7000s and I believe they are properly setup in a cluster.  However, I have them set as active/active, but all of my APs are all adopting to one of the Controllers.  Should they do some form of load balancing?  Also, I seem to have about 5 of my APs randomly lose their adopted state.  I was hoping they would then readopt to the other controller but they don't seem to do that, they just sit there unadopted until I reboot the AP and force it to readopt.  Any tips on either would be greatly appreciated.

The items in my setup are:
RFS7000 - 5.4.2.0-030R
AP7131 - 5.4.2.0-030R

I haven't updated them just yet because of time but could if we think that is the solution.

Offline McNulty

Re: RFS7000 Cluster question and an adoption issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 05:05:46 AM »
In my experience you will need to manually load balance the APs by configuring the "Preferred Controller" setting. I asked Moto about this and they didn't really answer, their reply was to say that best practice is to use active/standby instead of active/active

Offline Jay Smith

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »
Yeah, the problem with that is that when it no longer adopts to the primary, it won't switch over the other one so that setting is useless after the first one on the list and I'd rather have some kind of backup going.  I was hoping I was doing it wrong but it doesn't sound like it.  I guess I will just keep dealing with it for now.

Offline McNulty

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
Well the failover should definitely work no matter what method you use.
How are you testing the failover? Ensure that the Preferred controller is completely gone to force the failover test i.e. it is not still visible over some other vlan.

If failover does not work at all then there may be some config issues. Post your config here.

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:59:31 AM »
Well the failover should definitely work no matter what method you use.
How are you testing the failover? Ensure that the Preferred controller is completely gone to force the failover test i.e. it is not still visible over some other vlan.

If failover does not work at all then there may be some config issues. Post your config here.

It's funny because Motorola advises me to put my two controllers RFS7000 Active/Active precisely.
This allows them according to both controllers is in operation and to avoid breakdowns. When you do your clustering you can also prioritize "master" in one of your controllers (255 for the master).
Your vlans are they the same in your profile RFS7000? Because if that is the case, it should automatically load balancing.

Cheers,
David