• November 25, 2020, 11:46:18 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RFS6010 wing 4 > wing 5 upgrade  (Read 12804 times)

Offline Bueno

• Rookie
RFS6010 wing 4 > wing 5 upgrade
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:58 PM »
Hi All,

I'm having some trouble with this firmware upgrade. I have successfully upgrades from 4.2 to 4.4 in the past so attempted the upgrade from Wing 4.4 to 5.4 (Moto advised this as a new AP650 wasnt being adopted by 4.4).

We have a primary and secondary device in a cluster config for failover, I attempted this on the secondary device first just in case it went wrong (good job too!). Initially I was using the gui for the upgrade process but it kept failing at 97%, I then switched over to CLI and it accepted the image. I then proceeded to reboot. Once the device had rebooted I tried accessing the GUI but kept receiving Java errors, I was going to use the gui to copy over the converted config as I'm not too familiar with the CLI. So realising that I was unable to get the correct config running I decided to set the previous firmware image as the next boot image. Upon rebooting I was unable to contact the device. I went to the site today and was still unable to gain access, I tried moto support but they havent called me back so I'm not holding my hopes up.

I don't have the cable for the management port, but I do have another cisco serial to ethernet cable. I'm on site again tomorrow so I'm praying the cable works!

Can anyone give me any pointers on how I might be able to get this running again?
Also any advice on the correct procedure for upgrading would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline mcleodc

Re: RFS6010 wing 4 > wing 5 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:58:22 PM »
Hi,

A wing 4 to 5 upgrade isn't just a matter of upgrading the image I'm afraid.  You need to convert or as I prefer start the config from scratch.  The firmware zip file normally contains a conversion tool.

Since you are using the backup device I would boot to the wing 5 image and clear the config and build it up from scratch.  You will then get used to the new way of configuring everything.

The new GUI used flash I believe so not sure what the java error was about - worth clearing browser cache I think.

Cisco cable in the console port will work fine just set the rate to 19200.

Thanks

Chris

Offline Bueno

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:10:48 AM »
Hi,

Many thanks for the rapid reply. I did actually convert the config files so I just need to figure out how to get them on the device.

I also managed to connect to the console but I'm having a bit of trouble logging in. I have tried the original password which I had set previously and I have also tried admin + motorola combo. I've read about factory resetting but the guide I found doesn't work with the RFS6000.

I think once I get the device reset I can start building the config back from scratch as you advised previously.

Are you able to asist me in gaining access?

Offline Bueno

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 05:21:14 AM »
Also when tryng to log into the console I keep getting;

RFS6000 login: Jun 21 10:19:10 2013: %CC-4-NOCOUNTRYCODE: Country-code not set. Ignoring adoption requests from radios.

Its making loging in 10x harder than it should as it keeps replacing the bloody password with the above text!

Offline Bueno

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 05:52:56 AM »
I managed to gain access by typing cli <enter>
username - admin
password - superuser

Attempting config now, I will let you know how it goes.

Offline Bueno

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
Hi again!

I managed to get this device back on the network by setting the ip and gateway addresses - finally!

I didn't know the new wing5 gui was flash based but clearning my cache sorted the java issue. I then went on to configure the evice using gui. I had an AP650 which wouldnt adopt to wing4 but it has been adopted by this wing5 controller. I set up a test wlan so if this tests okay I will failover the primary unit tonight so the secondary can adopt and upgrade the aps.

Then I get to upgrade, reconfigure and add to cluster the primary unit! Will be a fun weekendThanks for your assistance :D

Offline mcleodc

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
Hi,

That's excellent news glad you got it sorted.

When creating the cluster I would recommend the following:

All on the secondary unit:

1) Add the primary rfs6000 as a device and configure with IP, mash, gateway.
2) assign same profile for both rfs6000 devices
2) add cluster name on both rfs6000 devices via profile
3) set cluster members on both rfs6000 devices
4) issue commit and wr mem
5) copy startup config to tftp server
6) copy startup config to primary rfs6000 after firmware upgrade
7) reboot primary after which the cluster should be formed.

I have done it like this a few time and always works nicely.  Also means you can do the config remotely and just go onsite to copy the config file to the other unit.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:10:08 AM by mcleodc »

Offline Bueno

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 11:17:25 AM »
Cheers for that. Do you know where I might find training material for this device? The pdf docs I've downloaded from this site don't go into much details in terms of "How-to".

Offline mcleodc

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »
Hi,

I have managed to find some documentation around the web - FTP sites and the like.  I have uploaded to dropbox for you hopefully some will be useful. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yc7a2w8k4dmb1j3/AXbzz0wJ_I

Motorola don't share much and this forum is really the only place for community support.  But if you do need help there are some talented folk that participate on this board.

Thanks
Chris

Offline hchen01

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 10:00:36 PM »
Great thanks for your sharing!

Offline Bueno

• Rookie
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 05:32:37 AM »
As soon as I clicked the dropbox link my jaw dropped and then slowly grew to a smile as I navigated through the various directories. YOU HAVE AN AMAZING COLLECTION! Exactly what I've been looking for.

;D

Offline Bueno

• Rookie
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
Can someone provide some info on DHCP?

On the WiNG4 controller DHCP is enabled and the APs do not obtain an IP address from our Windows DHCP server.

On WiNG5 I can't seem to find DHCP settings but the APs are obtaining IPS from our Windows Server.

???

Offline mcleodc

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 03:38:08 PM »
Hi,

Dhcp is under config->services I think.  I would just leave it to your windows box though to save any possibility of both dhcp servers dishing out addresses to the same LAN.

The primary unit will appeared grey until it is upgraded to wing 5 and you have copied the startup-config from the secondary unit to it and rebooted to activate the config.

Regarding the APs once the primary is switched off or rebooted they should adopt to the secondary unit running wing 5.  Then they should automatically update if legacy auto update is enabled on the controller firmware settings.  After the update finishes and the ap reboots they should appear in the device tree.

Thanks

Chris

Offline hchen01

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »
If you are using Windows DHCP server, you do not need to enable DHCP service on the WLC,

For WiNG 4 you can enable / disable DHCP service,

For WiNG 5 you need to select the DHCP service:
create the DHCP service:
Configuration-->Services--> DHCP

enable / disable DHCP service:
Configuration-->Devices--> "controller name"-->services-->DHCP server--> DHCP server Policy:
select / unselect the "DHCP service name"

Offline Bueno

• Rookie
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for this. The reason I asked is that on the wing 4 controller DHCP is disabled but there are no leases to any APs on the Windows DHCP server from what I can see.

I can see the one AP on wing 5 which has an IP lease on the Windows DHCP server as its name appears as "ap650-******".

What gives? I read something about layer2 and layer 3 adoption and not sure if this is what's happening here.

Can anyone elaborate on this?