• October 29, 2020, 10:08:36 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RFS6000 Network View  (Read 3918 times)

Offline julio.duarte

• Rookie
RFS6000 Network View
« on: November 04, 2014, 06:42:15 AM »
Hello there!

I have a RFS6000 switch, on WiNG version 5.5.1.0-017R, running with 12 adopted AP650 access points. Eight of the AP's are connected directly to the switch's "ge" ports, while the other four are detected by the switch on the LAN.

On the Dashboard's Network View, when I visualize the AP's, ten of them appear with their icons colored black, and the other two appear red. As far as I can figure out, there is nothing that distinguishes these two AP's from the others, and they both appear to be operating normally, with wireless clients connected through them. As far as I can see, all of their health and operation parameters are perfectly normal.

Exactly what does the color of those icons indicate? Anything at all that I should worry about?

Offline alphil

• Rookie
Re: RFS6000 Network View
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
I have the same question. I'd like to know it too.

Offline Goose

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:31:14 AM »
did you upload a-flore map and define a layout area ?
there is a toolbar at the top "Options/Color by" where you can select what to color and the colors change based on this selection.
or just select "none" co clear...

Offline julio.duarte

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:10:29 AM »
I messed with the "color by" tool, but the colors assigned by it were superimposed with the red color on those two access points, so that you could still tell them apart from the other AP's. In the end I left the "color by" tool deactivated but nothing has changed; the two AP's are still colored red and I still don't know what that means.

Also tried resetting the RFS6000. And that must have reset the two AP's (although I didn't check them specifically), since they are both among those that are connected directly to the RFS's "ge" ports. And when the system came back on, the two AP's once again appeared painted red.

Offline Goose

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:59:21 AM »
Let's just check something...
Replace the wires for these two units with
Other two that show in black ..
Is there any change ?

Offline julio.duarte

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »
I just followed the last poster's suggestion. I went to the RFS6000, and swapped the wires of one of the "red" AP's and one of the "black" AP's. That is, I disconnected the "red" AP's wire from the ge4 port and the "black" AP's wire from the ge3 port, then I reconnected each of them in the other one's previous port. When the AP's went back online, I checked them out by accessing the RFS. And lo and behold, in spite of the port switch, the "red" AP had stayed "red" and the "black" AP had stayed "black".

Now, I have returned the AP wires to their original positions, and predictably, the AP's remained colored in the same way as before.

That is, whatever that color signal means, it isn't about the ports on the switch. It's either something to do with the AP's or with the wires they are connected to.

I reckon my next test will consist of disconnecting one of the "red" AP's and connecting it to an available Ethernet socket in my office, letting the RFS detect it through the corporate LAN and seeing if it still appears "red" (to rule out some issue with the UTP wire).

Thanks for the good advice!

Offline McNulty

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
The red colour means that those APs have got crash files.

This is the equivalent of the * after the hostname in the CLI.

From CLI on your RFS run the command
service show crash on [youraphostname]

If it looks like nothing to worry about (sometimes when figuring things out for the first time in the lab we cause APs to have crash files. We know it is not a real issue) then you can clear the crash file and the red colour by running the command

service clear crash-info

Offline julio.duarte

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 04:56:07 AM »
By following McNulty's advice, I found the following:

RFS-01#RFS-01#service show crash on Antena-02
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                   CRASH FILE                     SIZE         LAST MODIFIED         
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  panic_201410280910_AP650_5.5.1.0-017R.tar.gz   11171   Tue Oct 28 07:10:28 2014   
RFS-01#service show crash on Antena-03
                   CRASH FILE                     SIZE         LAST MODIFIED         
  panic_201410311002_AP650_5.5.1.0-017R.tar.gz   11188   Fri Oct 31 08:02:11 2014   

So, as far as I can tell, it seems like the "crashes" are from October 28 and 31 respectively. Is there any way to know what is inside these crash files? I tried to copy them, but it seems like you don't have the option to copy them to a local file on your computer, just to FTP or HTTP servers. Does the word "panic" in the file names at least give an idea what is inside the files, or whether they are any cause for concern at all?