• August 19, 2017, 05:10:06 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RFS4000 port vlan assignment  (Read 3520 times)

Offline jcoehoorn

RFS4000 port vlan assignment
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
I'm trying to do something that should be simple, but it's killing me  :(

We have an RFS 4000 (4010) with ports ge1-ge5 and an uplink port. This device lives in a rack in our server room and connects to the rest of our network via a layer-3 HP switch. All of our APs are connected via access switches in other areas, so the ge1-ge5 ports have been sitting unused.

I need a few more ports freed up in the server room.  :D

I want to use 4 of the ports on the RFS for some light-use devices. Right now, the RFS uses VLAN 1 (range 10.1.0.0/8). I want to move four connections that need VLAN 5 (range 192.168.16.0/24) to the empty ports on the RFS. This vlan is for our phone system, and devices in question are bridges for analog fax lines. There's really only any meaningful traffic when we get a fax, and that really doesn't happen much. Moving these device to the RFS will let me free up some "real" switch ports for more critical needs.

So I'm trying to configure the ge1-ge5 ports on the RFS to use VLAN 5. On each port I set the admin status enabled, mode is access, and Native Vlan is set to 5, and I am not tagging the native vlan. The Uplink port is in Trunk mode, with vlans 1-4094 allowed. I verified the port on the HP layer-3 switch is set for tagged vlan 5.

My expectation is I when I connect a laptop for testing to one of those ports, I should get an address on VLAN 5 from the dhcp server, but it's not happening. I get no response from the DHCP server.  I was able to use a free port on the HP switch to confirm the same settings are doing what I expect without the RFS involved.

Trying various things, I've added a manual IP route for VLAN 5, added VLAN 5 as a Bridge VLAN, and added a virtual interface for vlan 5 (no ip). I have dhcp relay support on the HP switch, but I added the "trust" option on the RFS interfaces.

The only sniff of life I've had was just after testing directly against the HP switch. After doing this, when I connected back to the RFS, the laptop renewed the previous lease, but was unable talk with the PBX at 192.168.16.11 or the 192.168.16.1 interface on HP, and when I manually released the address the laptop couldn't get another one.

Any ideas what I'm missing to make these ports function as desired? I'm sure it's something dumb and obvious  ???

[edit] I forgot to add yesterday: I'm running WiNG 5.8.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:15:22 AM by jcoehoorn »

Offline jcoehoorn

Re: RFS4000 port vlan assignment
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
I have this working. I believe I also needed VLAN 1 setup as a Bridging VLAN, so that 1 and 5 could bridge together, and then to fix some bridging settings I had broken trying to get VLAN 5 working on it's own.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:48:51 PM by jcoehoorn »

Offline McNulty

Re: RFS4000 port vlan assignment
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 01:58:58 AM »
> So I'm trying to configure the ge1-ge5 ports on the RFS to use VLAN 5. On each port I set the admin status enabled, mode is access, and Native Vlan is set to 5, and I am not tagging the native vlan

But why are you setting Native VLAN to 5? As an access port this is ignored, along with all other trunk config like tagging native vlan.

You need to set:
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 5

What you have at the moment is:
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 1 (the default setting)
switchport trunk native vlan 5 (ignored since it is an access port)
some bridging stuff between vlan 1 and vlan 5 (not actually required)