• October 17, 2017, 11:34:47 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: rfs4000 firmware  (Read 194 times)

Offline DCLtd

• Rookie
rfs4000 firmware
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:42:51 PM »
Hello everyone.

I am hoping I might find some assistance here. I have recently acquired three RFS-4000's to use in my computer lab. (Networking isn't my strong point)

I've no prior experience of these Motorola switches but from what I can see they are very nice bits of kit. quiet with tonnes of features.

My question is. Where does one download the firmware or WiNG software for these devices.????

These three RFS-4000's all run different versions of WiNG. 5.2 5.4 & 5.5 respectively.

Do I need a service contract to get these devices upgraded? I suspect I do...

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline jcoehoorn

Re: rfs4000 firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
I don't think of these so much as switches; I think of them more as special servers for managing wireless access points. With that in mind, the firmwares must be frequently updated for new access point models, wireless standards, and adjustments for specific (often cheap) end-user device types that don't always follow the 802.11 specs as closely as they should (a lot of those cheap android phones have really crappy wifi implementations).

Those updates costs money to develop. Symbol=>Motorola=>Zebra=>Extreme have funded that by only offering new firmware to those with a support contract. You might get lucky and have a device with a serial number still under support somewhere. You can create an account with extreme and register your equipment:

https://extremenetworks.okta.com/home/template_sps/0oavff5vhrJDSMZWCLPI/2355
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:39:44 PM by jcoehoorn »

Offline DCLtd

• Rookie
Re: rfs4000 firmware
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »
I appreciate the reply. Thanks for taking the time to answer.