• September 22, 2020, 01:35:03 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RFS6000 and AP5131  (Read 5616 times)

Offline Mathieu.stamour

• Rookie
RFS6000 and AP5131
« on: June 10, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking for some insght with an issue we are having.

RFS6000 firmware : 4.3.0.0-059R
AP5131 firmware : 2.5.0.0-041R

It started about a month ago when we realized our AP5131's were dying one by one. We have about
60 AP5131's in our network strewn across Canada.

I managed to get my hands on one and noticed the LAN1 interface was somehow disabled. By re-enabling the LAN it still wasn't getting an address via DHCP. I had to do two resets. Both in the CLI by going to system, config and default and the other one by booting up and pressing ESC and reset system.

This managed to reset the AP correctly and I was able to get an address.

However it has been happening sporadically that an AP will just stop replying to pings and just shut down LAN1 interface.

What could exlain that the LAN1 interface is being disabled like that for no apparent reason?

I'm new to this company but the setup was done by an outside company and contacting them, they mentionned it's an old technologyand they just want to replace everything with AP6532.... Which would end up costing a hell of a lot of money...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit note : changed RFS4000 to RFS6000....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:39:32 PM by Mathieu.stamour »

Offline McNulty

Re: RFS6000 and AP5131
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:53:01 AM »
Hi, hopefully Michael McNamara can respond to you - he is the version 4.x guru around here

"It started about a month ago when we realized our AP5131's were dying one by one. We have about
60 AP5131's in our network strewn across Canada."

Has anything been changed at these sites? e.g. Are all the LAN switches getting replaced/upgraded one by one? My first suspicion is speed/duplex mismatch but that would require something changing.

How are the AP5131's being powered? By PoE switch or PoE injector?

Offline Mathieu.stamour

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The only thing that changed was a switch in our backup site which has one of the RFS6000 on it. But, the problem happens on both of our switches regardless of the site.

For the Duplex it's all set to auto on the AP's and on the switches. And they haven't changed at all.

We use PoE injectors for all our AP5131.

After having changed the network switch in our backup site (that has an RFS6000) we noticed about 9 AP's were MIA. Upon further inspection all of them had their LAN1 disabled automatically. So we had to reset all of them.

At first I thought that maybe there was a problem with DHCP and upon looking at some AP's I noticed they weren't being adopted properly. So I put in a DNS entry for the switches and now they adopt properly.

About a month goes by without a problem.

We then upgraded the firmware of our internal switches (Nortel) in our primary site and during this downtime (about 5-10 minutes) we noticed that about 4 AP's were not connected afterwards (none were in the original that failed) and had the same LAN1 disabled problem. I thought maybe I would need to manually put in the RFS6000 switch IP's in the Adaptative AP setup of all our AP5131, so I did manually put both our RFS 6000 IP's in there.

Two weeks go by without a problem...

We then finished upgrading the firmware of our network switches (Nortel) and afterwards I had 4 AP's again (not the same ones) have the LAN1 disabled.

So far what I notice is that whenever one of our switches 'disappears' from our network for maintenance, the AP's somehow Unadopt themselves, scrap their DHCP lease (which doesn't appear on the server) and disable LAN1 and the only way to get it back is to reset the AP to factory default...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:13:31 AM by Mathieu.stamour »

Offline McNulty

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
I'm not surprised that the maintenance is causing APs to fall off but they should come back up on the other controller if clustering is correctly configured.
But it is very strange that the ethernet port would be disabled

Maybe if you post your RFS600 and AP5131 configs here, we might be able to spot something?

Offline hchen01

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
would you please check the model of AP5131, there are 2 types of AP5131:
dependent model and independent model,

and then would you please check the license on both primary WLC and secondary WLC to eliminate the license issue.

finally, you can check the configuration on both primary WLC and secondary WLC to make sure that they are the same.