• September 25, 2020, 02:15:11 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: NX9000 AP Adoption  (Read 2185 times)

Offline degreek21

• Rookie
NX9000 AP Adoption
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
I'm new to this site, so please forgive me, if I cross any lines that I shouldn't. 

I'm a Cisco person, with a Motorola wireless question(s).  This firm that I'm doing some business with has just purchased a VM NX9000 to manage their wireless AP's.  They have about sixty Motorola 6532's, throughout their sites.  The AP's, at the moment, are autonomous APs.  In the Cisco world, in order to migrate autonomous APs to lightweight, you have to put a new lightweight image on the AP, and go from there.  With the Motorola's, I'm really confused.  I've gone through technical documents, YouTube videos, and have scoured the internet to try and find the right way of doing this.  I found a document that shows that if you issue the following commands, the AP will be adopted by the controller, and does seem to work:

mint mlcp vlan
mint mlcp ip

Here's my question.  In Cisco, when the AP joins the network, you'll see it on the controller (based on a few factors), and you can configure the AP from there.  With Motorola, do you have to pre-configure a device, on the controller, in order for the AP to adopt?  OR will the AP show up once the above commands are issued?  At the moment, I don't have option 191 on VLAN1, so zero config isn't working, but will this prevent the AP from auto joining the controller?  Also, when I manually create the AP, and see that it is joined, it says that the config status is "error".  Not sure if this is an issue or not.  I see that I can control the AP, once joined (like restarting it, upgrading firmware, etc), however, I tried adding Wireless SSID's, but they don't seem to appear on the AP.  I've created an RF domain, and AP profile, but still can't seem to get the SSID's to show up.  It also appears that the radios are down.  I've gone into the AP properties and assigned the SSID's to the radios to no avail.  I'm probably/definitely missing some step(s), but I can't seem to find an A to Z document on how to configure the controller to get this to work. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you in advance

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: NX9000 AP Adoption
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
There are various software versions required for integration. I'm not sure what version of software you are running on your AP6532s but you might need to upgrade to gain full functionality.

The configuration is similar to Cisco... you can either specify the DHCP option or you can statically configure the AP to point to a specific IP address (Wireless LAN Switch).

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline degreek21

• Rookie
Re: NX9000 AP Adoption
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »
Michael,

Thank you for your reply!  I've gone through quite a few of your write-ups.  They've been very helpful in understanding the architecture.  I think I have a pretty good plan, for migrating the AP's, based on your write-ups.  I do have a few other issues, one of which I'm going to create another discussion. Thanks again!