• September 22, 2018, 03:43:34 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: MOTOROLA RFS7000, offline access points.  (Read 2646 times)

Offline infinity386

• Rookie
MOTOROLA RFS7000, offline access points.
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:26:17 PM »
Hello All

First off let me say, I am a complete moron when it comes to switches.
please avoid my post, if something like this bothers you.

With that said, we have a RFS7000. Occasionally we have access points that occasionally go offline.
my questions are:

1. From the command line, what command can I use to locate the switch and port number that the access point is connected to? It looks like the access point would connect to the RFS7000, which in turn is connect to a LAN/WAN switch. I am trying to find the LAN/WAN switch that it is connected to.

2. What are the command for rebooting an access point?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: MOTOROLA RFS7000, offline access points.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »
Hello infinity386 and welcome to the forums!

1) You can't do this from the CLI interface of the RFS7000. You need to use the MAC address of the AP to locate it within your network infrastructure by searching for the MAC address in the MAC/FDB tables of your network switches. I usually document this during installation so I'll have the information handy if someone goes wrong.

2) I'm not familiar with how to reset/reboot an AP via the CLI although it is readily available in the WEBUI.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline infinity386

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
Hi Michael

Thank you for your response. Looks like I wasted hours searching for switch and port numbers the access points were connected to. I was primarily looking inside the GUI for the RFS7000. I believe its called wing.

Basically I need the switch and port numbers when the access points go down and become unresponsive.
I need to provide this information to the network engineer who then resets/reboots the port. After which I figured out how to recycle/reset the access point via wing.

So I guess my question are now:

1. Is there something a non network engineer can do to search MAC/FDB tables? I can easily get the MAC address, are there common network commands that I could use to trouble shoot issues?

2. I would like to put the RFS7000 and devices like it in a category. Would it be safe to say that this category is general networking? Or does it deserve a category on its own?

3. I have found lots of documents floating around for the RFS7000. Is there a preferred document or book that you would recommend? I am wondering if a video course exist for this device?

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
You would need to have the network engineer either search the MAC/FDB tables or they could dump the tables and provide them to you so you could search them I would suggest you document all the AP locations up front this way you have it when you need it. I've rarely needed to cycle the POE state on a switch port to recover an Motorola/Zebra AP. They will automatically reboot if they loose connectivity to the Wireless LAN Switch - watchdog timeout.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline ajohnson

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:04:20 PM »
regarding the reboot command, if you can ssh into the AP and login, it's just "reload"

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »
Just be careful... if you issue a reload on the wireless LAN switch you'll obviously restart the switch.

For those that are only using Layer 2 between the APs and the WLS then you won't have the option of logging into the AP. There's a command somewhere, might be in the service menu - it's been sometime since I've work heavily on the Zebra/Motorola kit.

Cheers!

Offline McNulty

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 01:24:23 AM »
Newer firmware will log the CDP neighbour information, making it visible even after the AP is offline.
 Which WiNG version are you running.

You can also try the "Show cdp neighb on AP001" and "show lldp neigh on AP002" commands