• November 27, 2020, 06:19:55 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Having DHCP Issue on one SSID - RFS6000 and 5131 WAPs  (Read 3473 times)

Offline CaptDunsel

• Rookie
Having DHCP Issue on one SSID - RFS6000 and 5131 WAPs
« on: November 05, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
Greetings.  I'm hoping to get a few pointers on tracking down a problem I'm having with one SSID on a WiFi network. 

First, I'm a relative noob at this.  I inherited IT management of 4 different wifi equipped warehouses, all using RFS6000 controllers and a variety of WAPs, and several different versions of WiNG.  What I knew of WiFi before this might wet the bottom of a thimble: After several weeks of digging through a number of issues, I'm now at the low-end of a lug-nut.

In the case of the present problem, the structure is two RFS6000's in a primary/secondary configuration running firmware version 4.4.2.0-001R (which I infer equates to WiNG 4.42?) with a mixture of 5131 and 650 WAPs.  There are two SSID's on the WiFi, one associated with WLAN 1 and the other with WLAN 4.  Each has a separate range defined in the DHCP service on the RFS6000's.

The observed behavior is that on SOME of the WAPs, a user connected to the SSID on WLAN1 will get a DHCP address, but a user connecting to the SSID on WLAN4 on the same WAP and the same radio will not get a DHCP address.  Use the same client device in the vicinity of the next WAP over, and it works fine.  Different WAPs appear to exhibit the behavior at different times. 

It seems to only affect the 5131's, but that is not definite.  The SSID in question is used mostly by office personnel and the office area is mostly covered by the 5131's.

On the controller GUI, I can see the devices connected but with no IP address, which is why I have inferred it was DHCP related.

I have looked at whether or not the DHCP address pool was exhausted: it's not.  I have set the DHCP lease lifetime down to 2 hours to make sure that unused connection are not hanging about indefinitely.  I rebooted the RFS6000's as a general troubleshooting step, on the theory that possibly the DHCP server was merely "confused" - both controllers had been up since before I joined the company.  The reboot appeared to clear the problem, but only for a few days.

I'm not looking for someone to hand me the magic wand.  But I would deeply appreciate some pointers if folks can think of other things to check.

Offline McNulty

Re: Having DHCP Issue on one SSID - RFS6000 and 5131 WAPs
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:44:56 PM »
Could you post your config here please (remove any sensitive info)

Offline leonardo.ortiz

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 04:10:47 AM »
The firewall is enable ??

If yes, try disable it. I can't confirm, but aparently Wing4 have problens with firewall and dhcp enabled in the same controller.

Offline CaptDunsel

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
McNulty - The current Running Config is attached, with edits...

Leonardo - Thanks, I'll take a look at that.  However, if the firewall is enabled, it's been so for a while, and the problem seems to be recent.

Offline hchen01

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »
Hi,
from the configuration, I found some difference:

wlan 1 enable
 wlan 1 ssid Belnick
 wlan 1 independent

it seems like that SSID "Belnick" is using local switching, which means all traffic will not go back to WLC,

wlan 4 enable
 wlan 4 ssid "Belnick Internet"
 wlan 4 vlan 2
 wlan 4 radius server primary 10.0.1.211

ssid "Belnick Internet" is using central switching, which means all traffic will go back to WLC

and AP650 is dependent model (do not support local switching in WiNG4), but AAP5131 is independent model (support local switch in WiNG4)

If it only happen on AAP5131, there would be some possibilities that AAP5131 will use local switching for wlan 4 (vlan 2), it would cause the DHCP problem.

if it's possible, please configure IP address on one AAP5131, and configure trunk mode for the ethernet port allow vlan 1 and vlan 2 (please use the same configuration on the switch) to see if this can solve the problem.

or you can rectify the setting of wlan 1, delete "independent" to see if there would be some changes.