• May 23, 2018, 02:57:09 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: AP6521 in case of RFS4010 controller failure  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Ondrej

• Rookie
AP6521 in case of RFS4010 controller failure
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:23:09 PM »
I have a bunch of AP6521 adopted by RFS4010 controller.
Everything works just fine until I disconnect controller form the network. I disconnect it to see what would happen in case of controller failure. I don't have backup controller yet.

I know that SmartRF and some other parameters cannot be adjusted without controller.
Is there any option to use those APs without reseting  them to factory defaults and configuring them as stand alone?

Does the bridging-mode (tunneling | local) has something to do with it?

Offline McNulty

Re: AP6521 in case of RFS4010 controller failure
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:24:18 AM »
Any AP model with 4-digit number like AP6521 can continue to operate without the controller. Even if the AP reboots and the controller is not present it will continue to work (Cisco, Aruba, Ruckus can't survive a reboot- major selling point for Zebra/Motorola)

But of course this depends on what else you are using the controller for. If you are tunneling the traffic then obviously that function can't work when the controller fails.

So if you don't have a backup controller make sure to do a proper design for resiliency.

Offline jcoehoorn

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:40:45 AM »
Yeah: tunneled traffic isn't gonna work without the controller. Also you could be in trouble for any SSID doing 802.1x if the controller is doing your radius authentication. But as long as you bridge local and pay attention to what features you use, those APs are perfectly happy to run with the controller offline.

You can also get a spare RFS4010 on eBay for as little as $75, and I believe it's possible to configure it as a hot spare using VRRP without any additional licensing (though I haven't got that far myself yet). I wouldn't want this for my primary, but as a standby/insurance policy machine I'll take an eBay special any day.

[edit]
Hmm... a quick search shows I could get an RFS6000 on ebay for that cheap, too. Now I'm wondering if my licensing could transfer.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:04:14 AM by jcoehoorn »

Offline Ondrej

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers.
I set bridging-mode from tunnel to local and it works without controller just perfect, but with some limitations.
That's enough for worst case scenario, controller fail.