• November 26, 2020, 04:55:15 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Juniper WLC-880R VLAN Interface IP Addresses  (Read 4683 times)

Offline brazenhead

Juniper WLC-880R VLAN Interface IP Addresses
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »
Hi all,

I have several client vlans defined on our WLC-880R controllers and for each vlan I have enabled the vlan interface, given it an ip address, and defined the subnet (/24). Here is a config example of a couple of such vlan interfaces:

set vlan 102 name eduroam_102
set interface 102 ip 10.10.102.3 255.255.255.0
set vlan 102 port User_Data_LAG tag 102

set vlan 184 name guest_184
set vlan 184 port User_Data_LAG tag 184
set interface 184 ip 10.10.184.3 255.255.255.0

These vlans are tagged back to our core routers which takes care of the routing (is the default gateways for the client data networks).

I have recently talked to someone that has configured it differently: their client networks vlan interfaces do not  have ip addresses on the controller and are not enabled. So apparently the vlans only need to be defined and tagged back to the router for client data to make it back to the core routers okay.

so here are my questions:  Is there any reason to give the vlan interfaces on the controller an ip address in the first place? Apparently is doesn't even need to be enabled. Is one way recommended over another?

I'd be interested to hear how somebody else has configured their vlans on a similar controller.

And let me know if I need to clarify anything or add additional details.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Jeroen

Re: Juniper WLC-880R VLAN Interface IP Addresses
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »
You won't need to configure the ip interfaces on the VLAN, not do you have to enable the interface to get WLAN operational.
I have had configured all 3 scenarios and all are working fine.
When offering using a guest portal, you will eed to onfigure this as the IP-interface is being used but the web-portal.