• December 09, 2018, 03:42:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Network Connect - nc.windows.app.23791  (Read 24110 times)

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Network Connect - nc.windows.app.23791
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:03:50 PM »
I really hate it when I stand up and proclaim everything to be great and only to learn that hours later everything is literally falling apart. Yesterday I posted on the blog how much I thought 6.5R2 was a winner and this evening I'm wondering if I've accidentally cursed myself.

I went to login tonight to the Juniper Secure Access SSL VPN appliance from a Windows Vista 64-bit host, my home personal desktop, only to be greeted with the following error from Network Connect:

"The secure gateway denied the connection request from this client."
(nc.windows.app.23791)

I thought perhaps it's just a problem with this Windows Vista machine, it's been giving me a few issues from time to time that seem to resolve themselves when I restart Windows. I rebooted and still I had the error. I moved over to an older Windows XP machine I have here in my office and I was shocked to see the same error on that machine.

I think a few hairs on my head turned grey when I Google'd for 'nc.windows.app.23791' and came back with pages and pages of links.

Long story short there was (still is) an issue with the Juniper getting DHCP addresses from my VitalQIP DHCP server. I switched the Network Connect resource profile back to use an IP address pool and the problem immediately cleared itself. I took a quick look at the DHCP server logs and I can see DHCP discover and DHCP release requests so everything looks fine there at first glance. I'll need to dig deeper to see what's going on between the Juniper appliances and the internal DHCP server.

Cheers!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline DaveTheRave

Re: Network Connect - nc.windows.app.23791
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:51:47 AM »
Oh no!!! This is something we still see occasionally on all clients. A fail over of DHCP clustered resource usually does the trick. Its worth noting though that we are not seeing DHCP issues internally and the same server services both the Juniper and our internal users. It seems the Junipers are VERY sensitive on obtaining DHCP leases.

Please keep us posted.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Network Connect - nc.windows.app.23791
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »
I haven't had the opportunity to dig into the problem just yet but everything else is working great. I would guess that we only had about 10% of the calls we had when we upgraded to 6.5R1 back in October 2009. Thankfully most of the client issues have finally been resolved.

I'll certainly post back here if I dig anything up.

Cheers!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!