• December 16, 2017, 10:02:21 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Minimum configuration to a backbone core solution  (Read 60 times)

Offline mariobehring

• Rookie
    • https://www.linkedin.com/in/mariobehring/
Minimum configuration to a backbone core solution
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »
Hi list,

I have to build a minimum configuration to manage the following environment:

# 7000 km Fiber Optics Backbone connecting 79 cities
# 1550 total points attended by the backbone. Number of points per city is different.
# DWDM, Metro Ethernet and GPON technologies will be used.
# Each point should have 30Mbps minimum
# Total network capacity should be 110Gbps
# The network, when in use, will have Internet, VoIP, Audio and Video traffic.

For now, this is still a project, but the company that is designing the project is saying that they need to build a brand new Tier 3 Data Center where they would have the Core Switches, several Blade Servers, Storages and some other equipment....just to be able to manage this network...and that is raising costs too much.

I donīt think that a whole Data Center and all this equipment is necessary, so I want to propose a single Technical Room, fully equipped and protected of course, but a Room nevertheless, not an entire DC! Letīs call it a Mini DC. I donīt think we need many Storages or Servers also...

Anyway, what should be minimum configuration for us to be able to connect and manage this backbone and network?

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Minimum configuration to a backbone core solution
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »
Welcome to the forums.

There are plenty of ways to manage a large network either in-band or out-of-band and you don't need to build a Data Center. You might need multiple 'sensors' or collectors to employ performance and availability monitoring but that could be done with a few dedicated servers hosted in any number of different colos.

The actual solution you choose and it's architecture will likely be based on the equipment that you choose to use.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!