• August 25, 2019, 01:11:03 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Digital Signatures on Nortel 1100/1200 IP Phones  (Read 2009 times)

Offline rlsmeridian

Digital Signatures on Nortel 1100/1200 IP Phones
« on: July 22, 2015, 11:21:43 AM »
Hi Michael,

I've been reading about upgrading my Nortel 1100/1200 IP Phones currently running on my BCM and E-MetroTel UCx to the latest firmware 5.5 from Avaya, but now I am having doubts since the documentation is talking about a "10 year digital signature expiration date with any 5.0 or later firmware."  Does this mean the phone will stop working in 10 years? 

Offline tbigby

Re: Digital Signatures on Nortel 1100/1200 IP Phones
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »
We used to run 'C4D' firmware, which was probably Unistim 2.1 or something. Everything had always been fine with that, originally when we received the phones C4D was an upgrade for them; but over time when buying new phones they would have a newer firmware pre-installed, so the phone system downgraded them to C4D instead.

Then, a couple of years ago, the digital signature for the C4D firmware (and probably a lot of other versions) expired.

What this meant for us, is that we could still use phones with C4D on them. But when a phone with an older or newer firmware version tried to register on the phone system, it would prompt them to upgrade/downgrade, but the signature check now failed due to the expired signature. So the phone would not load the C4D firmware.

I can't honestly remember if they still worked with their existing firmware or not, but they did come up with the ugly message during boot so we wanted to avoid that. But it only caused a problem for new firmware installs, not for phones that already had C4D - they continued working fine.

So I went ahead and upgraded the firmware on the phone system to C8Q (I think that's something like Unistim 5.1). Now any phone can successfully install the C8Q firmware as the digital signature has been updated. Therefore I tested the C8Q firmware and rolled it out to all phones.

So I'm fairly sure that in 10 years, the same issue will again come around. You won't be able to upgrade or downgrade to C8Q any more, and hopefully there will be a newer version that has an updated signature that works instead. But I suspect that the phones will continue to work just fine, just that they can't upgrade or downgrade any more.

Hope this helps, Tony
Tony Bigby

Offline Nipponton

• Rookie
Re: Digital Signatures on Nortel 1100/1200 IP Phones
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 12:33:46 AM »
This good story should be told to me.
newbielink:http://tnbschool.org/ [nonactive]