• February 19, 2018, 03:13:47 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Applying Qos on Avaya 5500 Swtich  (Read 510 times)

Offline luismaportillo

• Rookie
Applying Qos on Avaya 5500 Swtich
« on: January 13, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
Hello Mr McNamara ,

I Write because im having a issue  with a VideoConferencing System, exactly  when the VideoConferencing system is running  the Video runs Ok, but i got choppy Voice, in all the branches and at the HQ,  also we have the enough Bandwith  from our ISP .

The main  VideoConferencing server   is located behind a Stack  of  ERS 4548 Avaya Switch, i receive the  the traffic on a Wan Router  from the branches and  later the traffic goes to an 5500 Avaya switch, i would like to apply QoS on the Link between the Router and the 5500 Switch, and of course behind to the 5500  to the access Switch ( Ers 4548). The question is how can i set up the priority of the  Avaya 5500 port  to 5 o 6,  i already set this port as trusted.

I appreciate the  help you could provide to me.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Applying Qos on Avaya 5500 Swtich
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
Welcome to the forums...

The video conferencing equipment should set the proper QoS/DiffServ tag, you just need to make sure that the Avaya is configured to Trust that port, which you've done. On a Polycom you can set different QoS tags for the voice and video streams, so I would advise you check your video conferencing equipment. Usually the voice stream is EF while the video stream is AF.

The issue is likely not with the Avaya, since they perform wire speed switching/routing (unless you have a really badly designed and overloaded network). The issue is likely with your ISP or your edge router is not configured to provide the appropriate queuing and bandwidth reservation based on the QoS/DiffServ tags.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!