• August 17, 2019, 09:34:55 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Joys of Cisco Wiress LAN Controllers  (Read 72 times)

Offline Flintstone

• Global Moderator
The Joys of Cisco Wiress LAN Controllers
« on: July 16, 2019, 12:36:37 PM »
We recently had an issue with a Cisco 8510 Wireless LAN Controller which managed 700 APs. 

We have two WLCs in 'SSO' mode for resilience and one of the WLCs was reloaded and wouldn't come back up as the Cisco software wouldn't recognise the hardware as an 8510; A Cisco bug we were informed.  We RMA'd the hardware and received a new WLC with an eval licence.  We were able to downgrade the software to be the same as the live WLC.  We then replaced the faulty WLC with the new WLC and even though the live WLC recognised it, the configuration 'BulkSync Status' was 'In-progress'; where it should be 'Complete'. Apparently another Cisco bug we were informed?  Also at this time , our customer was rolling out new AP 2802s but these were not registering to the WLC.  We found out that our current WLC software did not support the new AP 2802s.  We now had two issues to resolve sharpish.  With Cisco supporting us we turned off 'SSO' and removed the eval licence on the new secondary WLC by manually setting the AP count to 850.  We then turned 'SSO' back on and hey presto the configuration 'BulkSync Status' was now 'Complete'; Not a Cisco bug after all.  We are now in a position to upgrade. 

Via the web GUI you can download the software to the WLC and the WLC will extract and install and do the same thing on the secondary WLC.  You can also pre-load the software to the APs but only via CLI , so that the downtime is minimal.  After a reload everything came back on the new software and we could now see the new AP 2802s registering to the WLC.  The new problem we had was that the new software no longer supported the older AP 1152s; x12.  Luckily the new AP2802s were being rolled out to replace them.  We also noticed that our Guest SSID was no longer working.  The Guest service is off loaded to another pair of WLC5508s and the 'Mobility Groups'; I.e. tunnels, were down.  The upgrade seems to have changed the virtual MAC address of the 'SSO' WLCs and the MAC address is used in building the tunnels between the WLCs.  Once we changed the MAC address in the 'Mobility Groups' the Guest service started to work as designed.

The thing that also needs to be taken into account here is that we supported the customers wireless infrastructure on a best endeavours basis as we didn't really know what we were doing.  I certainly now know more about Cisco WLCs and APs than I did before.  I might even get some training now as this flagged up there is a support risk moving forward?

CheerZ