• May 25, 2018, 04:41:27 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cisco co-existence with Nortel Passport 8006  (Read 1596 times)

Offline dykon

• Rookie
Cisco co-existence with Nortel Passport 8006
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »
I am having issues trunking vlans between a nortel passport 8006 and a cisco 3850. Ive read a bunch about this that they use dot1q trunking and no speed negotiation. The links come up between the switches and I can even ping back and forth on multiple vlans, but it seems when I make this connection I lose all of vlan 10 which is the main vlan... Although I can ping the main switch I'm not able to ping other devices on VLAN 10. I have tried a bunch of trunk and native vlan configs on the cisco side and they all result pretty much the same. I'm hesitant to make any modifications to the old nortel because I have never worked with nortel and the CLI is very different from cisco. Can anyone recommend the best way to trunk a port for multiple vlans without using a portchannel group?
Right now I am running the two cores side by side and replacing the old switches with ciscos and moving the fiber connection at that time to bring up the VLAN tunnel. But Im looking to be able to connect a VLAN trunk on a sinlge port between the other switches. Let me know what other information I can provide to help solve this. Below is the 2 port configs....

Cisco 3850
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,100
 switchport mode dot1q-tunnel
 switchport nonegotiate
 speed nonegotiate

Nortel Passport 8006
Index Perform Tagging Vlan Ids
3/3 true 10,100

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Cisco co-existence with Nortel Passport 8006
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:56:26 AM »
Welcome to the forums....

You'll find a great reference on Avaya to Cisco 802.1Q trunking here;
https://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2011/01/802-1q-vlan-tagging-on-a-cisco-catalyst-3750-e/

You made this statement,

Although I can ping the main switch I'm not able to ping other devices on VLAN 10

Unfortunately you didn't provide us any IP addressing or tell us where you were pinging from.

If you give your laptop an IP address in VLAN 10 you should be able to ping anything in VLAN 10 from either switch if you have the 802.1Q trunk setup properly.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!